Learn how to make a Unicorn Cake using our step by step instructions and video tutorials.
You Will Need:
- 3 or 4 layers of vanilla cake (we used a 6 inch cake tin)
- Buttercream icing
- Silver cake board
- White fondant
- Rolkem super gold dust powder
- Rolkem quick dry essence
- Decorating brush
- Chefmaster rose pink liqua-gel
- Disposable piping bags
- 2D piping tip
- 1A piping tip
- #32 piping tip
Note: The first 5 steps of this tutorial can be completed up to a month in advance.
Making The Cake
1. Ensure your cake layers are level and flat. Use a serrated knife and a ruler or a cake leveller if you need to trim the top to level the layers.
2. Freeze the cake wrapped in cling wrap (with baking paper between each layer) if you are making the cake in advance and storing. Otherwise refrigerate for at least 1 hour before icing. This makes the cake much easier to work with and helps prevent getting cake crumbs in the icing.
Making The Fondant Decorations - Eyes, Ears & Horn
3. Print and cut out the Unicorn Ear Template.
4. Follow the instructions in the video below to make the fondant decorations.
It is preferable to do these in advance so the fondant can harden. Allow to dry for a day or two in a cool place and then store in an airtight container until you want to use them.
The tutorial below was done all at once, so the fondant was still quite soft when it went on the cake. It still looked great but was a little bit more difficult to work with than if it was dry.
Horn - 60g
Ears - 40g
Eyes - 2g
Assembling & Icing The Cake
We recommend you complete the following steps within 24 hours of when you want to serve the cake.
We personally make our cakes the day before. Sometimes things don't go according to plan and things need to be re-done and you don't want to be starting over the night before or the morning of a party.
5. Make your buttercream icing. Ensure you set aside approx. 1/4 of the icing for piping the mane.
6. Follow the instructions in the video below to fill your layers and ice the cake.
If you don't have a cake turntable, use something underneath your cake board (like an upside down bowl) that will lift it off the bench to make it easier.
Decorating The Cake
7. Spoon aside approx. 1/5th of the remaining buttercream icing to keep as a natural buttercream colour.
8. Tint the remaining icing by adding 1-2 drops of pink gel colour at a time. Mix well between each addition and set aside several spoonfuls of icing before adding more colour.
You want to have 4-5 shades (as shown in the video below) ranging from the natural off-white buttercream colour to a darker pink.
9. Prepare 3 disposable piping bags with the 1A, 2D and #32 piping nozzles. As per the picture below, place the piping nozzle into the piping bag and make a small mark above the end of the nozzle. Cut the bag where you have marked. Push the piping nozzle into the bag and ensure the end of the nozzle isn't obstructed by the piping bag.
10. Decorate the cake as shown in the video below.
Congratulations! Your Unicorn Cake is done!!
While the cake can be stored safely in a cool place, we prefer to keep our cakes in the fridge until approximately an hour before serving. This varies depending on the temperature - the butter in the icing can start to melt during warm weather, but it is also too hard for serving straight out of the fridge. If you are keeping it out as a centerpiece of the party, ensure it is going to be in the coolest place possible.