From Gold Fondant Unicorn Horns to stunning Drip Cakes, metallic effects are hot right now!
Creating stunning metallic effects on your cakes or cookies is really easy to do using a lustre dust. We love Rolkem Super Dusts, which are shimmery lustre dusts that can be applied wet or dry and come in a gorgeous range of colours.
In this tutorial, you will learn how to use lustre dusts on fondant decorations.
Dry Application - Dusting Fondant
Simply use a decorating brush to apply your lustre dust onto the surface of your decorations. This works well with fondant but can also be used on chocolate or dried royal icing.
- Really easy to use
- Good coverage
- Can be applied to fondant immediately (no need to let the fondant dry out first)
- Won't damage the fondant or cause cracking
- You only need the 1 product
- Harder to use if you want to colour small details or use multiple colours on an item (needs to be used wet for this)
Wet Application - Painting Fondant
You will need to mix the dust with Rolkem Quick Dry Essence or alcohol to create a paint and then use a brush to paint the colour onto the surface of your decorations.
- Strong coverage
- Very small details can be painted, using a fine brush
- It's best to apply to dry fondant to prevent damage, so this takes longer
- Can cause cracking or damage if too much is applied or it's too wet.
- Does dry quickly, so you need to work fast